Tuesday, October 4, 2011

France 11, Sep 13 Pt de Bales, Col de Payresourde

Today we really start climbing. Over two passes the Port de Bales (which is called a port because it separates two departments or counties) and the Col de Peyresoudre, both often used in the TDF. We climbed around 7,000 feet today. For example, the 3,750 ft climb to Port de Bales is 11.8 miles.

Beautiful country and very pastoral. Wonderful little villages and nice people. Cars virtually always courteous. A great day.

We're going up there? Yep.

Up we go!

Had some company on the way up. The cow on the right walked right up to my front wheel and spooked me. I was frantically putting my camera away and trying to steer clear. He just stopped and watched me. Pretty funny in retrospect.

A pretty puny sign at the top.

Lawrence was busy making lunch and I didn't want to disturb him to take my picture. They do a pretty good mid-day lunch on this tour. The guides tell me it is the same on all their tours.

A nice little ski village off the southwest side of the Port de Bales.

The view southwest into Spain.

Oh, man! Up we go to the right. Got really hot today. Supposedly 90 degrees part way up.

Finally on top after 7,000 ft of climbing.

Our small town, Arreau, at the end of this great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment