Wednesday, November 2, 2011

France 2011, Sep 19, Mont Ventoux in a Mistral

This was a crazy day. Weather predicted a Mistral. This is a north wind that comes down the Rhone valley when there is a high over the eastern atlantic and a low over the low countries. It then creates a wind that roars down the Rhone valley.

When we got up it was nice an warm, a little breezy and looked good for a ride up the Bedoin side of Mont Ventoux, the side the pros usually use, as we had never done that.

We rode from Carpentras to Bedoin and took this pic. Note that you cannot see the top of Mont Ventoux. Also note the name. Vent-tous (always windy) in English. Little did we know. Off we went.

I know, I took this pic on the way down. This route is the hardest of the three routes up the Ventoux. Several kilometers of average of 10% or greater. We didn't get too warm on the way up so stopped at the little shop and restaurant 6 km from the top. A man (T.W.) insisted I take his leg warmers. He was on his way down and we watched as he drank 4 hot chocolates. Then he began shivering. We took off for the top.
The top. I do not have my bike as I cannot hold it and stand at the same time. I am leaning into the wind. Winds recoded that day on top were around 100 km in gusts. We were crazy. Had to walk up the last 200 meters and get in the lee of the weather station.

Post script: I found TM in Canada and talked to him. He was coming to Denver so I gave him his leg warmers and a drink. He agreed we were all crazy because we were limited on time and thought we had to do it NOW. NOW!! A great killer of athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment