Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 21 - La Ciotat, The End

Thursday, September 24, 2009

La Ciotat

We have finished!! Almost exactly 1,000 miles across from the the English Channel to the Mediterrean. We did four climbs used frequently in the TDF, and one climb that was harder than any of those (up to Col de Parquetout).

The view from our hotel window. Not to0 bad!

La Ciotat, a former ship building port - now yachting repair port, and minor tourist destination, was the end of our tour. Because it was not a major port, we hoped to avoid congestion and have easy access. It its own way, it was beautiful and very pleasant. It wasn't crowded, and of course, there was great sea food.

Our Yacht is finished! Ready to take us back to the USA.
NOT! There are a lot of big ones here, though.

The four musketeers! If we look a little tired, it is only because we are.


Was it great? Yes, definitely a bucket list hit.

Would I do it again? No. It was a lot of work for everyone. Instead, I would like to select an area, rent an apartment for a month, and do rides out of there.

Where? Probably Provence, but also there are areas in the Alps which would make great hubs (like St. Jean-du-Maurinne), particularly for climbing.

It certainly made me appreciate what France has to offer. We met so many great people where we were. They were very courteous and helpful. We ate wonderful food. In fact, I would say that the most dangerous thing in France is the food. I loved it, and could easily eat too much. I lalso like a lot of their customs. Among others, I especially liked closing the stores for lunch from 1230 to 1430. The language is so beautiful, and in many ways, quite fun to try to speak. Sandy and Susan did very well, and improved quite nicely as we went along.

So, thanks to all my companions - Jim Sproull, Susan Radke Sproull, and most all, Sandy Olsson, for making this happen.

4 comments:

  1. Jim,

    Congratulations to all! I enjoyed your photos and commentary. See you when you get back.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. You did a great job with the pictures. Have a safe trip home. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    I am a little jealous. I have done 3 TDF and worlds in France but it has been a while.

    While the TDF were a blast, renting a place and riding from there is very enjoyable and not so much work.

    I rented a house in the Brittany area, not any mountains but very pretty. The 3-bedroom, 17centery home cost about $150.00 a week. It was great, the people were very nice. I would recommend the trip to anyone.

    Good luck home and we will have to get together in CO.

    Later,
    James Schroeter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doc

    Philippe here, from San Antonio.
    I finally got to read all your blog entries. All this looks and sounds fantastic.

    I really like that you got a chance to enjoy La Ciotat and its surroundings. That's where my grandparents lived up until last year. I spent a lot of time there. I used to come there every weekend to spend some quiet time with my grandparents while i was in Marseille for math school. The small harbor, the old town as well as the narrow road to Cassis along the shore are gems not yet taken over by tourism, IMO. This or nearby Aix-en-Provence might be the place for you to think about when you talk about renting for a month of riding.

    Congratulations! for the feat of riding this long route and
    Thank you! for taking the time to write about it.

    Best regards to you and Sandy,
    Philippe

    ReplyDelete