Friday, June 25, 2010

ALBANY, NY TO BRATTLEBORO, VT

Albany, N to Brattleboro, VT
70.68 miles in 5 hrs 1 min
23 Jun 2010
First you have to get out of Albany and cross the Hudson. That is a major challenge with the traffic, construction, and otherwise poor roads. I rode across the site of my only crash since starting to ride 6 years ago. I was mighty nervous as I approached the railroad underpass just east of the Hudson river. All went well but I didn't move a muscle as I coasted through it. The staff said there were more potholes than ever, but I was just glad it was over.
Then the climbing really begins. Up first out of the Hudson Valley and over to Bennington, VT, and then from there up the 7.2 mile climb from Bennington over the Hog Back mountain divide. A fairly steady 4-6% grade until the last mile and a half where it kicks up to 8-9%. (they wouldn't allow that steep a grade in the west) All in all a tough ride, but really beautiful country side.
By the way, remember the discussion Rick (the mechanic) and I had in Ohio about me kicking his behind in Vermont. Well, forget it. He had me wimpering for my mother on the Hog Back climb. I'm just going to have to get in shape.


Mountain Stream on the Hog Back climb

Nope, a different stream on the other side of the
Mountain. I didn't see any fisherman.
Maybe they don't do that in the east.

Beautiful view east from Hog Back Mountain
(Obviously shot by lousy photographer zinging by
on a bicycle)

No comments:

Post a Comment